Auster J/1 Autocrat - 160hp O-320
Built at Leicester in 1945 it was serial no.1850 and originally allocated the registration HB-EOL which was not taken up. It was first registered to W.A. Rollason Ltd., Eastleigh on 11 Feb 1946 and then sold soon after to Col. C.W.D. Rowe of Orton Longueville, Northants. He based it at RAF Wittering and owned it until 1953. By 1955 it was owned by Brooks & Johnson Ltd. Northampton.
In 1965 it was registered to A.West of Bedford and was then moved to Panshanger nr Welwyn Garden City. Still at Panshanger it was then owned by The Wasp F/G in 1967 and B J Foley in 1976.
A group of gliding club members brought her to the Isle of Man in 1997 after she was re-engined with the more powerful and less maintainance intensive Lycoming O-320. She now serves as a private aircraft and a tug for the club.
This picture was taken in 1949 at Elstree. Photograph courtesy of the A.J Jackson Collection